Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Oo-de-lally!



Movies I watched last week while knitting/preparing for the arts/music festival that happened on Sunday:
-The Pianist
-The Royal Tennenbaums
-Bottle Rocket
-The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou
-Robin Hood (the Disney cartoon)
-Year of the Dog
-Mrs. Parker and the Vicious Circle
-The Graduate
-Blade Runner
-Rushmore
-Ordinary People

That's all. I don't know why I watched all the Wes Anderson movies, but I did. Maybe in preparation for The Darjeeling Limited. I'm excited for that. Last week, also, Jared and I saw Across the Universe, which I would give 4/5 stars, although I think Jared might lean toward 3. During the movie, the fire alarm went off for a minute, so we all got free tickets. So. We'll see The Darjeeling Limited in two weeks when it comes out.

Lately, the topic of religious affiliation has come up more than once within my group of friends, so I've been trying to pick mine. I'm not quite sure, but I have decided that I am against people saying that they are "spiritual." The more I thought about it, the more I realized that I didn't really know what "spiritual" even meant. So I looked it up, and Merriam Webster defines it as:
1 : of, relating to, consisting of, or affecting the spirit : INCORPOREAL
2 a : of or relating to sacred matters b : ecclesiastical rather than lay or temporal
3 : concerned with religious values
4 : related or joined in spirit
5 a : of or relating to supernatural beings or phenomena b : of, relating to, or involving spiritualism

So the definition pertaining to my query would be "concerned with religious values." Having learned this, I hate the word even more. The only people that I could take seriously as spiritual people, I think, are Native Americans.
They seem pretty spiritual.
During one of these conversations, Kelly reminded me of a previous conversation that we had in which she asked me, "Do you believe in God?" and I replied, "I believe in Science."
So there's that.

Anyway, we had this festival thing on Sunday, and I don't think that it was what we expected, but we sold five pairs of earrings, which was nice. We're trying to get into this craft fair thing on October 5, which is held by the Mew Gallery. That would be great.. right in the Italian Market. Anyway, here's hoping.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yeah, people throw "spiritual" and "agnostic" around a lot and I think, in general, it's a big cop out.