Friday, September 7, 2007

Work Log - 6 September, 2007


Not a lot of putzing around yesterday (or today). But my internet surfing mainly consisted of travel research yesterday.

What I read:

Lonely Planet Guide
-The lonely planet guides are very helpful. I actually went to Borders yesterday after work to read some of them in the flesh and they were very specific. I was researching routes from Cairo to Tel Aviv to Istanbul and found all the information I needed (for now).
Transitions Abroad
-I have found this one to be helpful in regard to working abroad programs.
Eurail.com
-Although this was monetarily informative, this website doesn't offer a Europass that includes Britain at all. So that was stupid.
Heather Matarazzo
-I didn't know she was gay!

Other things I did at work:

Lots of registration. That's about it. I was pretty busy. Here is an excerpt from an email that I sent Lisa the other day describing the Registration part of my job:

i have been doing registration (sitting at a counter, calling, "next!" and registering students for classes), which can be heartbreaking (when students come to the counter and their classes have been dropped for apparently no reason and now they are all full so they have to redo the schedule they so meticulously created six months ago and they are mad at everyone --one student asked me to call security on one of my co-workers and several others threw their papers at me and stormed away..) and gratifying (when they come to the counter for the tenth time after all their attempted registrations have been rejected because of full class capacity and finally everything works out and they say, "there is an angel on your back" [one person said that] or "you are beautiful, thank you for all of your help, you have made my education possible!" [another person said that]).

No comments: